Parish Buildings

Saint Clement was founded in 1905 and continued to grow as a parish community. The growing face of this community demanded facilities to meet its needs. Buildings have been constructed. Renovations, restorations and renewals continue to take place, and additions have been made.

Combined Church & School

As in so many Chicago parishes, the first structure to be built was a combined church and school. The first Masses were held in the combined building on Christmas Eve 1905, and the first classes began in September 1906. Read more.

Inside the Church

The interior of the church is nothing less than a masterpiece of art and architecture. We encourage you to explore and learn more about this marvelous building. Read more.

Chapel and School

The original lower-level chapel had been opened in 1946. Some improvements were made in the renovation of 1989, but by 1999, the lower-level worship space and gathering place needed repairs and renovation. Read more.

Parish Center

In spring 1917, the parish bought the limestone Miller home at 638 W. Deming Place, next to the rectory. It was used as the convent, housing 16 Sisters of Saint Francis until 1942, when the parish bought the larger building at 622 W. Deming Place. For years, the house was the parish Clubhouse. In 1976, it was extensively renovated to better adapt it to use as a parish center. The first floor houses an open meeting space and kitchen; upstairs are smaller meeting spaces and staff offices. Read more.

Renovation, Restoration and Renewal

The parish complex remained virtually unchanged for more than 50 years after the 1929 and 1930 projects. Time took its toll on the church building and its art, which were badly in need of repair and restoration by the 1980s. In the meantime, the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965) had called for a renewal of the liturgy, and the 1929 furnishings did not accommodate the renewed liturgy very well. It was time to get to work. Read more.

engage@clement.org  |  Phone: (773) 281-0371  | Fax: (773) 281-2509 | 642 W. Deming Place  Chicago, IL 60614